Saturday, July 5, 2014

TDF 2014 Stage 1: Kittel Counters Cav Crash Carnage

As I write this, I'm watching a bunch of TV commercials, interrupted occasionally by some coverage of the Tour De France. It looks like Yorkshire has put on a great race so far, the crowds are huge and it isn't even raining.  Although, as in any big crowd, there's always a few idiots who spoil things for everyone.


As I watch the race roll over roads I have ridden myself I can't help get a little misty-eyed as I reminisce about my time in Yorkshire. Now all I have left is the memories................................ And this big box of tea.


And this jar of yeast.


Anyway, onto the racing....... He may be old enough to be Danny Van Poppel's dad, but there's no keeping down Jens Voight. Always fond of a breakaway, Jens was out in front over the first climbs of the race and earned himself the lead in the mountains competition. Make the most of it Jens pickers, as I don't want to be harsh, but it's likely to be the only points he earns you.


Today was always going to come down to a sprint and the smart money was on one of Kittel, Cavendish and Griepel. Kittel won, just like he did on Stage 1 last year. 


Not being so lucky was Cav, who went down after a tussle with Simon Gerrans in the final meters. I'm no doctor, but it looks like a broken collarbone to me. If you spent 18 credits on Cav, it is a tough lesson in the cruel twists of fate that can totally fuck up your team's chances.


Now that the race is on, all the Velogames teams are there for us all to see, and there are some quality teams in the mini-league this year. Early honors go to Warwick, but with 20 more stages to go, I expect we'll see plenty of ups and downs before the overall Tour De Pance winner is revealed.






The Doom of FroomeWarwick Anderson1450
CharmersCraigatron2358
Haxby Group PharmacyRichard Harrison3340
2.35.24Den4292
Flying HutchmenHutch5285
Stans FinestMark6280
Mungo CyclingMungo7258
Three Little PigsIsabel Harrison8256
Rouleurstdm9119248
Bile BeansVestan Pance10221
ENRICO 666Eric Mortier11203
Huntington PharmacyLate night meds from12202
Expensive Bike Pumps due to InflationVinny PL13199
Drews Riders, Useless Generally SpeakingDrew Stephenson14193
Evil Yorkshire ChanbotsEvil Dr Chan15189
School of HardknottsJonathan Wilcox16176
KLOEFEKAPPERS FCJan Van Belleghem17170
OlliepopsOJ18167
Holy ToledoAndrew Ramos19153
Miffy`sMountain GoatsHelen S20151
The HopalongsDave21143
SmugblokesMr Smug22110
A True Underdog StoryPatches O`Houlihan2338

Stage 2 is going to be a tough one and starts in my old home-town of York. I can use my local knowledge to warn the riders about strong winds around the Minster.


And to look out for pools of vomit on the corner by the Cross Keys.


It doesn't really matter though, as the race is neutralised till the ring road and after they get to about Skipton, I don't know the roads at all. Looks tricky though.







1 comment:

  1. Yep, that's my team shafted. I shall make myself acquainted with the bottom of the table soon enough.

    ReplyDelete