Sunday, May 23, 2010

Stage 15 - Don't mess with Zoncolan

The Zoncolan has a reputation as one of the hardest climbs in Italy, with an average gradient of 12%, ramping-up to 20% in places. I know it sounds pretty simple compared to Hardknott Pass, but the riders of the Giro D'Italia had a long day and some other climbs to contend with before they got there. When they did get to the famous slopes, there were a few people out to watch.


There the early break, which had a 14 minute lead at one stage, but then the mighty Liquigas squad started chasing and come the bottom of the big climb they were all back together. I was hoping for big things from the climbers on the Bile Beans team. I was shit out of luck though, as both my climbing picks, Rohregger and Pozzovivo have already quit the race...... losers. Dan Martin has been hanging in there, but he needs to win a stage or something. I'm also impressed with Marco Pinotti, who has been getting a steady stream of points in.


All the big boys were looking to do well on the climb as the pace went up, (except Wiggo, who decided to take it easy and came in at 104th). In the end though, it was another day for Liquigas, as Ivan Basso was bestest up the climb and managed to put 1:19 into second place Evans. Arroyo still keeps the pink jersey, but his lead has shrunk and there's some tough stages ahead.


No racing tomorrow, as it's a well earned rest day for the peleton. Maybe it'll give George time to get those scores updated. I've got the day off too, so I might actually get out on my bike instead of watching the Giro on TV and writing my stupid blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment