Monday, May 14, 2012

FGDI Stages 7&8: Ryder Rides into Pink

As the Giro d’Italia goes on, I’ve found myself falling behind like a sprinter on a climb.


Let’s try and catch up then. And start with Stage 7, which was won by Paolo Tiralongo, just ahead of a strong looking Scarponi. It was Tiralongo’s second Giro stage win, and in fact only the second win of his entire professional career.


You may remember his win last year wasn’t too spectacular, as his buddy Alberto Contador pretty much gifted him the stage, as a thank you for all his hard work when they were team-mates the previous year. The race leader at the start of the stage Adriano Malori cracked, and after the GC re-shuffle, it was Ryder Hesjedal who took over the Pink Jersey.


Stage 8 looked like it was uphill all the way, and come the finish there was some quality climbing talent fighting for the win. He may have been crap last year when he was on the Bile Beans team, but now that I’ve let him go, Domenico Pozzovivo took the stage and moved himself up on GC to within a minute of the race lead.


Hesjedal did enough to hold onto the Pink Jersey, but he looked to be working pretty hard. He’s just an off-day away from losing the Jersey, so we can expect to see him come under some serious pressure once the climbing starts again. At the moment the man closest is J Rod, who is only 9 seconds back, and looked good on his way to second place on stage 8.


I’d rather not, but looking at the mini-league things aren't going so well for the Bile Beans. I’m doing so badly at the moment that I might have to re-adjust my goals and instead of crushing everyone in my path, just hope to beat Mungo Cycling. Or I could go with plan-B and take over the Craigatron team, which I picked for my 9 month-old son. He’s still too young to notice if I steal his team, although his mother might not be best pleased. Craigatron are doing better than the Bile Beans at the moment, so at least Mrs. Pance can’t accuse me of picking an inferior team for the boy this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment