Monday, May 7, 2012

FGDI Stage1: Phinney Phinshes Phastest


Hello, I've been a bit late with these, but lets just get on and pretend we haven't had three Giro stages already...

Taylor Phinney is rumored to be the product of a genetics program operating in the USA in the early 90’s. It was hoped that by breeding fastman Davis Phinney with Connie Carter that a super cyclist would be the result. The experiment seems to have been a success. But, however good young Taylor’s genes are, it probably still takes a bit of effort to tear around the streets of Herning at well over 30mph. So the 21 year old Phinney now has a Grand Tour prologue win, to go alongside his Jr. Paris Roubaix win, and his world individual pursuit title. The boy could go far.


There was a spot on the Bile Beans for Phinney, but for some reason I changed my mind at the last minute, and went for “the next Robert Gesink’, Rabbobank’s Tom Slagter........ I don’t know what I was thinking, I threw away some easy points for a long-shot for the mountains and GC – it’s not even like the current Robert Gesink scores many Fantasy Cycling points. As usual though, it could have been worse. I could have picked Andreas Kloden or Thomas Dekker for my team. They are both handy riders for sure, but unfortunately, they are not riding the Giro this year, so if you did pick them, bad luck.

As far as the other contenders went, it was a good ride from Gerraint Thomas in second. Solid rides from GC hopefuls Basso and Kreuziger. And crappy rides from GC hopefuls Scarponi and Frank Schleck.


It seems the minileague scores are going through a “transitional” phase. Which means they don’t make a lot of sense at the moment. I can tell you that the Bile Beans aren’t doing very well. And I can tell you that Roulers are probably doing OK.


No comments:

Post a Comment