Thursday, July 21, 2011

FTDF Stage 18 - A. Schleck Goes Scholo

It was only yesterday, that I predicted that Thomas Voeckler would lose the Yellow Jersey today. Well it turns out I was wrong, as the plucky little Frenchy hung on in there up the Galibier, to hold onto the race lead by 15 seconds.

I know he's plucky and all, but I've never really been much of a fan of Mr. V. All those doomed breakaways and hamming-it-up for the cameras didn't impress me.

And Juan Antonio Flecha, (who I do like) doesn't speak very highly of him after that thing with the car on stage 9. I've got to hand it to Tommy though, he's riding well and he's probably got a few of the big-men worried by now. Still he's not in my team so it's about time he slowed down a bit and let Cadel win.

Another rider who's been pissing me off of late is Andy Schleck. He seems to have spent most of the race looking around to see where Frank or Bertie are. Or complaining about the fact that the roads can go down as well as up. He did a proper ride today though, going clear of the main guys on the penultimate climb, and he soon had a decent gap. No one looked to keen to chase, until Cadel Evans eventually upped the pace to limit his losses. So Andy took the stage and moved up to second overall.


All these recent events have done nothing for my scores. And I've now sunk to ninth place in the overall scores. After tomorrow I'll be out of the top ten for sure. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted, and at least I'm still on top of the Tour de Pance league.

There's just one mountain stage to go, and everyone still within spitting distance of the race lead will be looking to take some time on Alpe D'Huez. It will be the last chance for the Schlecks and Tommy V to get time over Evans before he smashes them in the time trial on Saturday.




No comments:

Post a Comment