Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Giro Overall - Contador Takes Race, Chan Takes League

Hello again. Forgive me for not updating sooner, but I've had a busy weekend, as I made one of my rare trips into the world of racing bicycles at Burn24. I've now managed to catch up on some sleep and also catch up on all the news from the Giro. So lets get going.

It looks like Alberto Contador won the race, (and also the points jersey) which came as a surprise to no one.


He was "on another level" and made it look pretty easy. If he wants people to stop talking about him and drugs, he should probably go a bit slower. He may be riding on borrowed time, but the WADA/UCI appeal over his Clenbuterol positive has been delayed again, meaning he'll probably be lining up for the Tour in July and only a fool wouldn't bet on him for the win. If they do decide to ban him, it'll be a right cock-up, as the ban will come over a year, and several race-wins after that dodgy test result. It all makes the UCI look like a bunch of incompetent, corrupt idiots - a bit like FIFA then. So, to the mini league final scores.


Congratulations to the Evil Dr Chan. He picked the best team, and despite the Drunk Riders running him close at times, he never looked to be in too much trouble. In a first for the Tour De Pance, I'm awarding a prize of $75 value to the winner - yes Dr Chan wins a free bike tune-up. Just deliver your bike to my house and I'll get it running as good as new - for free*!

Much like Fabian Cancellara, I started strong, but faded away as the race went on. I mostly blame my climbers. Poor Sylwester Szymd was sick for most of the race but did put in an appearance at the front in the final week. Domenico Pozzvivo was just plain shit though, I picked him last year too and he was crap then - I won't be picking him again, so expect so see him up there next year.


Last place for the Dodgem Geezers then. Some bad luck with withdrawals and a failure to pick Contador cost them dearly. Well done on selecting John Gadret though, he seemed to be the climbing revelation of the race and will likely be touted as "The Next Big Thing" in French cycling. It's yet to be decided if he'll be riding the Tour this year, but I'm not sure Nico Roche will be too happy having to share leadership duties at the AG2R team with the "baldy French climber". 

Thanks for playing and see you all at the Tour De France. And maybe before, as it looks like George may have a game planned for the run up to the big one in July. Keep checking that Velogames site for news.

* Shipping and parts not included

3 comments:

  1. Danny could probably use that tune up on his barge... sorry.. mountain bike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its running sweet as a nut now I have taken off both brakes! I donate my free tune up to the next celebrity Nick bumps into!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the bile beans were rooted to bottom spot according to my velogames page:

    I have just picked my suisse team if you want to make another team effort?

    Rank Team Directeur Score
    1 Evil ChanBots Evil Dr Chan 6148
    2 Drunk Riders Using Good Stuff Drew Stephenson 5985
    3 Dodgem Geezers Warwick Anderson 5402
    4 Bile Beans Vestan Pance 5353

    ReplyDelete