Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Fantasy Vuelta Stage 17: Mollema Overcomes Wind Problem

Here I am, back in a flash with a Vuelta update only one day after the last one!  As you might have gathered from my sporadic posting, I haven't been watching this year’s Vuelta as closely as I should, so my insights into the race have been minimal.  Luckily, everyone’s favorite CyclingNews commenter ellenbrook2001 has been paying attention and has once again cut through the bullshit to say what I know we have all been thinking.



We've had the rain, today we had the wind. 



And when it gets windy things tend to get strung-out, with the strongmen making the cut and the weaklings left chasing.  The Dutch are famous for being able to ride in the wind, so no big surprise to see Bauke Mollema hanging with the big-boys and sneaking away at the end to take the stage.  Young Mollema would appear to be the new next big thing of Dutch Cycling, after his team-mate Robert Gesink turned out to be the next big underachiever of Dutch Cycling.



In the GC battle, Nico Roche moved up a few spots and is back up to 5th. I do have a soft spot for Nico, so it’s good to see him doing well.  Back in my bike shop days, I had a customer who met his mum and informed me that at least in the early 90’s, she was a total fox.  


Obviously it would have been nicer to see young Roche doing well while riding for the Bile Beans, but my team was chosen in haste and I never got around to re-picking.  To be honest I can't even remember who’s in my team, I thought I had Mollema, but I guess I don't..... Nor does Drew, but it didn't stop him getting top score.

Dudes Riding Using Good StuffDrew Stephenson303
ScibstiquesPaul Scibilia271
Red DevilsWarwick Anderson161
Bile BeansVestan Pance147
MungoCyclicMungo119
Rouleurstdm91175
CharmersCraigatron65
KLOEFEKAPPERSJan Van Belleghem61
ENRICO 666ENRICO 66658
Team ChanbotsEvil Dr Chan54

So Drew remains on top for the foreseeable future.

Dudes Riding Using Good StuffDrew Stephenson3892
CharmersCraigatron3320
ENRICO 666ENRICO 6663117
KLOEFEKAPPERSJan Van Belleghem3026
ScibstiquesPaul Scibilia3026
Rouleurstdm9112483
Red DevilsWarwick Anderson2416
Bile BeansVestan Pance2256
Team ChanbotsEvil Dr Chan2200
MungoCyclicMungo1732

More bike riding will be happening tomorrow.  It’s stage 18 don't you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment