Saturday, August 20, 2011

Vuelta Stage 1 - Lay-O-Pard Lay-Down Best Time

Well the Vuelta a España is now off. And I've gone and picked the Bile Beans for this year's race.

The race started with a team time trial, around the delightful town on Benidorm and starting at the beach.

I was thinking Team Sky would do quite nicely today, but I guess I was wrong. Apparently they had a bit of a crash going on, but I didn't see it on the TV - so as far as we know they stopped for ice-cream or a pint.

It wasn't just Sky who had a bad day, there seemed to be fair number of incidents as riders left the start-ramp, with Jani Brajkovic being amongst the victims. I blame those pretty girls they had to start the riders off. They were very distracting.

So the stage went to the Leopard Trek team, (or Lay-o-pard Trek as they like to call themselves). The Liquigas Team of defending champion Vincenzo Nibali were not far behind, but for the time being Jakob Fuglsang has the race lead.

George must still be a-working on the scores, but I'm guessing they'll be along soon. I'm in no great hurry though, as today the Bile Beans were none too impressive. Fingers crossed I'll do better tomorrow, when we can expect to see the first of the bunch sprints.

In the name of economy, I had to pass on Mark Cavendish, so I'm hoping that a combination of Chris Sutton and Velogames bargain Marcel Kittel can earn me some points.

No comments:

Post a Comment