Monday, April 23, 2012

Iglinskiy has Max Power at Liege

What do Alexandre Vinokourov, Alejandro Valverde, Davide Rebellin, Danilo Di Luca, Tyler Hamilton and Frank Vandenbrouke all have in common? Well, apart from liking to take performance enhancing substances, they’ve also all won Liege-Bastogne-Liege. Maxim Iglinskiy has just added his name to the list of Liege winners, with a powerful ride.


It was a cold and wet day, but Max rode smart and caught a fading Vincenzo Nibali before the line, to take the biggest win of his career. Team-mate/manager Vinokourov was impressed, saying he won "the Vino way", by which I assume he means he paid 100,000 Euro for the win. Let’s hope Max doesn’t follow in the footsteps of some of the other recent winners, and find himself busted for cheating – unless he’s been cheating of course, in which case, I hope he gets busted.


I didn’t even pick Max’s younger, less talented brother, Valentin for the Bile Beans. And my squad failed to deliver many points at all in the all important last race. Where was my big investment Alejandro Valverde during all the Ardennes races? Not anywhere near the front it would seem.


All that underperforming has cost me dear, as it has allowed Mungo Cycling to take second place overall. There was no touching the Roulers however, who earned a very respectable 875 points, which was not only enough for the Tour de Pance minileague win, but they also earned 14th overall out of all the Velogames entries. I can take some consolation from beating the Chanbots, which is always nice, but I get the feeling they weren't really trying.


The Giro D’Italia will be starting in the Netherlands, or Denmark, or somewhere like that, on May 5th, unless I’m mistaken. I’m sure I’ll be over my Classics disappointments by then, and I will be back with a new and improved Bile Bean squad, that will crush all in its path. Either that or I’ll just pick a bunch of donkeys like I normally do. Either way, the Giro is a great race, and it’s good to get some Fantasy Grand Tour practice in before all the wannabes turn up for the Tour de France.

No comments:

Post a Comment