Friday, March 25, 2011

Goss goes full gas at MSR

While many of us may have been hoping for another good turn from Mark Cavendish at Milan-San Remo, it turned out to be his team-mate Matt Goss who took the victory.


Or Matt Goss as I like to call him.


Here's a clip of the last few minutes of the race - I hope your Dutch (or possibly Belgian, is there a difference?) is good. Even if it isn't, I think you'll see that Goss won from a very select group of top-class riders (and someone from the FDJ team).



Goss is turning into quite a handy rider with a couple of Grand Tour wins and now a Classics victory. What this will mean for Cav's status as top sprinting dog in the HTC team remains to be seen, I suspect young Cav is just having a slow start to his season and has had a couple of distractions over the winter with his new girlfriend.


So in the old Tour De Pance minileague, it seems the Bile Beans are off to an early lead - mostly thanks to Matt Goss and Greg Van Avermaet.


It looks like my recent week-long trip to the wilds of Canadia for a spot of skiing could not have come at a worse time for my fantasy cycling prospects. The Bile Beans were hastily picked before I departed, and it looks like I picked several guys who were never going to show up for the first couple of Fantasy Classics. Now I find out that Haussler is now a ? for Gent-Wevelgem and Friere and Boasson Hagen have just confirmed they won't be riding.


I can take some consolation from the fact that although I'll probably lose the lead in the minileague, I did manage to hold on to my "King of the Plane" status while playing In-Flight Trivia on the trip to Canadia.


And I did meet a famous person the other day. As you can see I've had to edit the phone number to prevent blog followers from pestering Minnie with nuisance calls. Although, judging from the address, I think the number could well have been made-up.


So next up in the Fantasy Classics calendar is Gent-Wevelgem. Which takes place in Belgium, so lets hope for some nasty Northern European weather to make for a suitably tough race. Wikipedia tells me it's known as the "Sprinters Classic" so I'm hoping some of the few remaining fast-men in the Bile Beans squad will be able to grab the win.

No comments:

Post a Comment